Recipe by Sassy in da South
I love gingerbread of any kind but this one really put me over the top. The addition of cream cheese in the batter as well as the icing, simply heavenly. Don't wait until the holiday season for this one, it's good anytime of the year.
Top Review by nita 284904 southern girl
Sassy.. this is 10 star all the way.. I also love gingerbread and had to try it.. took to a potluck and everyone loved it. This will be made many more times.. nita
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 13×9-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg until well blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed.
- Stir in molasses and water just until blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the icing; refrigerate remaining icing.
- Spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each) of the reserved icing over batter in pan. With knife or spatula, swirl icing through batter to marble.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes. Lift out of pan using foil.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Invert and peel off foil.
- Spread refrigerated icing over bars. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.