Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
Delicious served with bacon or sausage, coffee and orange juice. Allow to refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 1 lb French bread, 1 loaf
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese with pineapple
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto, if desired
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Slice French bread into 24 (3/4-inch-thick) slices.
- Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon cream cheese on each of 12 slices of bread. Top with remaining bread slices to make 12 sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches in baking dish to cover bottom.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the salt and cinnamon with wire whisk until well blended.
- Pour over bread in baking dish.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn sandwiches over.
- Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Chop 1 cup of the strawberries; refrigerate remaining berries.
- In nonmetal bowl, gently stir chopped strawberries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the amaretto to mix.
- Cover, refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400*.
- Drizzle melted butter over bread in dish; bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining strawberries; stir into chilled strawberry mixture.
- Serve French toast with strawberry topping.
This was delicious. I decided to try the recipe "last minute" and had to improvise. I used cherry orange marmalade along with plain cream cheese. We topped it with chopped pecans and maple syrup. Will definitely make again.