Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
this is a recipe that was a winner on the southern living contest.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook 1 cup sugar in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown.
- Quickly pour hot caramelized sugar into a 2-quart flan dish.
- Using oven mitts, tilt dish to evenly coat bottom and sides.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Sugar will harden.
- Whisk together egg yolks and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Process egg whites, cream cheese, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in blender until smooth.
- Stir egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl; pour custard over caramelized sugar.
- Place dish in a large shallow pan.
- Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1/3 up sides of dish.
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Remove dish from water bath; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- Run a knife around edge of flan to loosen; invert onto a serving plate.
This is a GREAT recipe. WOW when I made this for my family and it was the hit. I've been giving this as a gift for a couple of years. You must add water to the sugar while melting it or it will dry hard and stick to the bottom of your flan pan. A 1/2 a cup should do. This is such a simple recipe, you'll love it. I use a blender and mix everything in seconds. The only problem is the waiting for the flan to cool down after baking. Who wants to wait till the next day to eat it after smelling it bake for an hour plus.