Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I love this for dessert and find that it is always well received. It is like a cross between cheese cake and flan. A nice finish to a Mexican dinner or to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Recipe from Kraft. Cook time also includes time in the fridge.
- 473.18 ml sugar, divided
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 226.79 g package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cut up, softened
- 5 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 0.25 ml salt
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Place 1 cup of the sugar in small heavy saucepan; cook on medium heat until sugar is melted and deep golden brown, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Immediately pour into 9-inch round baking pan; tilt pan to evenly cover bottom of pan with syrup. Set aside.
- PLACE milk and cream cheese in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Add remaining 1 cup sugar, the eggs, vanilla and salt; cover. Blend just until smooth; pour into prepared baking pan. Place filled baking pan in larger baking pan; add enough hot water to larger pan to come halfway up side of smaller pan.
- BAKE 50 minute to 1 hour or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. Carefully remove flan from water. Cool on wire rack.
- REFRIGERATE several hours or unti chilled. When ready to serve, run a knife along the edge of the pan. Then, invert pan onto serving plate to unmold flan. If some caramel is stuck to the bottom of the pan, you can place the bottom of the pan in a sink full of hot water to heat it, and then spoon it over flan. Store any leftovers in refrigerator.