Served this for a brunch. Real nice light coffee cake. Great combination of cream cheese and strawberry jam. Adapted from a R. Reisman recipe. You can use any kind of jam that you love!!
- 3⁄4 cup 5% fat ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup light strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray a 8 1/2 inch springform pan with vegetable spray.
- Make filling: in a food processor, combine ricotta cheese, cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla; purée the mixture until it is smooth.
- Make topping: in a small bowl, stir together cereal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, oil and water until crumbly.
- Make cake: in a large bowl and using a whisk, beat sugar, oil, egg, egg white and vanilla. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture in batches, alternating with the sour cream, making two additions of dry and one of wet, and stirring the mixture just until it is combined. Pour it into a prepared pan.
- Melt jam in a microwave or on the stovetop. Spread it over the cake batter. Pour the filling over top, spreading it to cover the batter. Sprinkle with the topping.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 55 to 50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cook on a wire rack.