Prep 4 hrs
Cook 25 mins
A very rich coffeecake that makes an excellent dessert. A cream cheese filling is sandwiched between a yeast-raised pastry-like dough. The recipe comes from Red Star Yeast. Prep is also rising time in bread machine.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, cool, cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- Place ingredients in pan in order listed, Select dough or manual cycle.
- At end of first kneading cycle remove dough.
- Shape prepared dough into a ball.
- cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Divide cold dough into 2 parts.
- On lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 15-x-10-inch rectangle.
- Transfer one rectangle to a greased 15-x10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth.
- Spread FILLING over dough.
- Carefully place remaining rectangle over FILLING.
- Brush with slightly beaten egg whites.
- Sprinkle with Nuts.
- Cover; Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake in Preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Drizzle Glaze over warm coffeecake.
- When cool, cut into squares or bars.
- Store in refrigerator.