Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
What makes these cookies different is rolling them in crushed rice cereal. Prep time includes time for dough to chill.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups crisp rice cereal, slightly crushed
- candied cherry
- Cream together margarine, cream cheese, sugar and almond extract till light.
- Mix together dry ingredients and add to margarine mixture.
- Chill 1-2 hours.
- Shape into balls.
- Roll in cereal and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Top each with a cherry.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool on racks.
I have made these cookies for years. Instead of the "crispy" outside, I roll them in colored sugar and top them with an M&M.
These look & taste lovely! Very, tender rich cookie with a nice, crunchy crust. The only problem is that the crunchy coating got soggy & chewy overnight in an airtight container.
I didn't have any rice krispies, so I rolled them in crushed up corn flakes instead. It worked fine, with a nice crusty outside. I doubled the batch to make sure I had enough (and I used a whole 8 oz brick of cream cheese)...the double batch made 53 cookies...i guess i made them big...? They are delicious like little cherry cheese cake cookies. I quartered my maraschino cherries and added them on top for colour (instead of a whole cherry). I would make these again!