Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A fab Christmas cookie, and yes it's another recipe from my friend Eliz. We both like almond flavouring, so there is a little more almond extract in this recipe than originally called for. I like the touch of maraschino cherry juice in the icing for both the flavour and pop of pink it gives.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- In a large mixer bowl combine butter and cream cheese. Beat until well combined. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract and beat well.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to cream cheese mixture; beat until well mixed. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill in the refrigerator about 1 1/2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with desired cookie cutters. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until done. Remove to wire racks; cool.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl, beat in maraschino cherry juice and enough milk until of piping consistency. For spreadable icing, add a little more milk. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Pipe or spread Almond Frosting onto cooled cookies.
- Garnish with more colored sugar, dragees or nuts, if desired.