Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicate, not oversweet cookie
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet (or use a cookie press). If desired, make an indentation in the center with your thumb or other object; fill with preserves, or press candy into center.
- Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven.
- Cookies should be pale.
Made the dough a month ago and popped it in the freezer. Today we thawed it, rolled it out to 1/4", used a 2" round cutter with scalloped edge, and baked for 14 minutes on parchment (turning the pan midway). Yield: 42 cookies.
My changes: 1) used unsalted butter, so added 3/4 t. kosher salt; 2) increased vanilla to 2 t.; 3) increased flour to 350 g (about 2 3/4 c).
This is a nice crisp sugar cookie. The dough was easy to work with and held its shape well during baking. My personal preference tends more toward shortbread, so next time I'm going to try cutting back on the sugar a little (175 g instead of 200) and mixing in chopped toasted pecans. Thanks, Tish!
These were so easy to make! We loved them!! We sprinkled them with a little colored sugar before we put them in the oven. They were done in exactly 15 minutes!! I didn't get more than 30 cookies out of this recipe though....still a great cookie and we will make these again FOR SURE!
Oops! I totally screwed up and used a whole 8oz block of cream cheese, but you know what? They were still great! If you try this though, roll into a ball and flatten because they stay the exact shape that you put them on the cookie sheet. Very good! I will have to try using the proper amount of cream cheese as well.