Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Southern Living. The bourbon is wonderful, but you may substitute an equal amount of milk, if desired. I've given an alternate recipe for Powdered Sugar Glaze.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon (can substitute equal amount of milk)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
BROWN SUGAR-PRALINE GLAZE
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
ALTERNATE POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10" (12-cup) tube pan.
- Bake pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet 5 - 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. (This can be done in a microwave-safe plate in 1 minute increments until the nuts are 'roasted'. Stir every minute for about 3 - 4 minutes total, allowing to sit 5 minutes.).
- Beat softened butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow dissappears after each addition.
- Sift together flour and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with bourbon, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in coconut, vanilla and toasted pecans. Pour into a prepared tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 35 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack; cool completely (about 1 hour). Invert completely cooled pound cake onto a serving plate or cake stand; spoon either Brown Sugar-Praline Glaze or Powdered Sugar Glaze over the top.
- BROWN SUGAR-PRALINE GLAZE.
- Melt butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar and corn syrup; cook 1 minute. Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla; whisk until creamy (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and immediately pour all glazing mixture over cooled cake in a circular motion. Cut cake with a serrated knife. Makes 1 cup.
- ALTERNATE POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE.
- Stir together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth, stirring in up to 1 tablespoon additional milk, if necessary, for desired consistency. Pour all glazing mixture over cooled cake. Makes 1 cup.