Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup water, hot
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sift the cake flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/2 c shortening and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat, with an electric mixer set on high, until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioners' sugar alternately with hot water and chocolate (melted and cooled to room temperature) to cream cheese mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Blend until smooth.
- Remove 2 cups of the chocolate mixture and cover with plastic wrap.
- Reserve for frosting.
- Blend 1/4 cup shortening into remaining chocolate mixture.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with 1/4 cup of milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter in 2 greased and waxed paper lined 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
- Blend 1 T milk into the reserved chocolate mixture for frosting.
- Place one layer on serving plate and spread with frosting.
- Top with second layer and frost sides and top with remaining frosting.