Recipe by litldarlin
Caramel and apples are happily married in this fabulous pie. The sliced apples are first coated with sweetened cream cheese and then with a brown sugar and spice mixture. The apples are then arranged in a pie shell with a layer of caramel in between, and topped with a second crust. It bakes beautifully."
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package caramels, apple circle
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out pastry and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Mix well.
- Add apples to cream cheese mixture and stir until apples are evenly coated.
- Add brown sugar mixture to apple mixture gradually, stirring after each addition.
- Pour half of apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Place caramel circle over top, and then pour in remaining apple mixture.
- Cover with second pastry.
- Seal edges and cut steam vent in top.
- Sprinkle with coarse/turbinado sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- If you notice over browning after 25 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- Note: Turbinado sugar is organic sugar, but you can you regular sugar if you can't find the organic kind.