Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These brownies offer a small taste of heaven. You have to follow the directions, otherwise they won't be so heavenly.
Cream cheese layer
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5 tablespoons sweet butter
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate or 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a square 8X8-inch pan.
- To make the cream cheese layer, put the cream cheese in a mixer bowl and mix with the paddle attachment until it's smooth.
- Add the rest of the cream cheese layer ingredients, beating well and scraping down and of the batter that dares try to escape up the sides of the bowl.
- To make the brownie layer, melt the butter and the chocolate together until smoothly melted.
- Put aside and let come to room temperature.
- Be patient, it's worth it.
- In a separate bowl from the cream cheese mixture, mix the eggs and the sugar until it's thick and a gorgeous lemon color.
- Add the chocolate mixture and mix well until combined.
- Again, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, vanilla, baking powder, salt and the chocolate chips, mix well until combined.
- Pour half the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture over that.
- Don't worry if it doesn't cover the chocolate. It won't.
- Add the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Take a knife and gently draw it through the batters, from left to right and from top to bottom, making a checkerboard pattern.
- Don't allow the mixtures to combine, be careful.
- Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Bake in the oven until the sides, but not the tops, begin to brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Don't wait until a tester comes out clean, if you do then you have overbaked and basically murdered the brownies.
- Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes, cut into 12 or 16 brownies, cover and refrigerate.
This, ladies and gentlemen, really is heaven in a pan. There's little I can say: followed the directions, baked at 160 C for 30 minutes, achieved nirvana. Stop reading this review right now and go make these. :-)
Oh, this brownies are to die for!! The only changes I made was just using 1/2 cup of sugar for the brownie batter and the whole box of cream cheese (250g) instead of 4 ounces.Besides these changes, I followed everything as directed.With that amount of cheese and the gooey, chocholatey brownies....oh....so yummy!!Each bite as you go thorough the crispy brownie top, then the tangy cheese centre..then the gooey chocholatey bottom....is just mind blowing!!I ate the brownies while watching desperate housewives on tv...Now, that dearie,is the way to die and experience heaven!!! Thank you for this "sinfull" brownie!! Love it sooo much!!
Brownies that don't get hard overnight! Doubled and made in a 9X13 pan. Had to cook for 40-45 minutes in the bigger pan or possibly also due to high altitude. Only other change was using peanut butter chips for the extra added chips because that's all I had left on hand.