Recipe by Mirj
These brownies offer a small taste of heaven. You have to follow the directions, otherwise they won't be so heavenly.
Top Review by stormylee
This, ladies and gentlemen, really is heaven in a pan. There's little I can say: followed the directions, baked at 160 C for 30 minutes, achieved nirvana. Stop reading this review right now and go make these. :-)
Cream cheese layer
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5 tablespoons sweet butter
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate or 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a square 8X8-inch pan.
- To make the cream cheese layer, put the cream cheese in a mixer bowl and mix with the paddle attachment until it's smooth.
- Add the rest of the cream cheese layer ingredients, beating well and scraping down and of the batter that dares try to escape up the sides of the bowl.
- To make the brownie layer, melt the butter and the chocolate together until smoothly melted.
- Put aside and let come to room temperature.
- Be patient, it's worth it.
- In a separate bowl from the cream cheese mixture, mix the eggs and the sugar until it's thick and a gorgeous lemon color.
- Add the chocolate mixture and mix well until combined.
- Again, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, vanilla, baking powder, salt and the chocolate chips, mix well until combined.
- Pour half the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture over that.
- Don't worry if it doesn't cover the chocolate. It won't.
- Add the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Take a knife and gently draw it through the batters, from left to right and from top to bottom, making a checkerboard pattern.
- Don't allow the mixtures to combine, be careful.
- Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Bake in the oven until the sides, but not the tops, begin to brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Don't wait until a tester comes out clean, if you do then you have overbaked and basically murdered the brownies.
- Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes, cut into 12 or 16 brownies, cover and refrigerate.