Recipe by CulinaryQueen
One of Nigella Lawson's recipes. Make sure the cream cheese is very cold to help make slicing easier.
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g cream cheese (very cold)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- You will need a square metal baking tin, 23 cm X 4 cm deep, greased and lined.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over medium-low heat in a heavy saucepan, then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl with the sugar and vanilla, then beat into the cooled chocolate.
- Add the flour and salt and beat until smooth.
- Pour half the mixture into the prepared baking tin, slice the cream cheese as thinly as you can and top the brownie mixture in the tin with these slices.
- Pour over the remaining brownie mixture, using a rubber spatula to make sure each bit of cheese is covered.
- Bake for 20 minutes; the top should be slightly paled and dry, but a cake-tester poked in the center should reveal a still-sticky center.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into little squares. The cooler they are, the easier they'll be to lift out.
- NOTE: The yield number depends on how big or small you cut them.