Recipe by Studentchef
I've had this recipe for a couple of years, now, but oddly enough, haven't tried it. I should though, because I love brownies, but this sounds so decadent because of the cream cheese.
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
These were wonderful! I took half of them to a BBQ and brought the other half to work - all very well received. These were easy to make - although I wasn't sure if I was suposed to use 6.5 oz butter plus 5T or how much and when? That was confusing. I only used 5 Tablespoons total. Either way, they were very fudgy and the cream cheese swirl was great. And Saturn was right, this recipe does dirty a lot of dishes!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 6 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup fresh walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 9 by 13 inch (3L) cake pan
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate, half the butter and half the vanilla over a double boiler or in the microwave, and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cream the remaining butter with the cream cheese, gradually adding in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Blend in two eggs, two tablespoons flour mixture and the rest of the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the remaining four eggs with the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture, followed by the dry ingredients and nuts, if using.
- Por the mixture into the pan, and spread into the corners.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture in long lines, then using a knife or a toothpick swirl the batters together (do not over swirl or the cream cheese brownies will become leaden and beige).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or for fudgier brownies no more than 25 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.