Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've had this recipe for a couple of years, now, but oddly enough, haven't tried it. I should though, because I love brownies, but this sounds so decadent because of the cream cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 9 by 13 inch (3L) cake pan
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate, half the butter and half the vanilla over a double boiler or in the microwave, and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cream the remaining butter with the cream cheese, gradually adding in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Blend in two eggs, two tablespoons flour mixture and the rest of the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the remaining four eggs with the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture, followed by the dry ingredients and nuts, if using.
- Por the mixture into the pan, and spread into the corners.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture in long lines, then using a knife or a toothpick swirl the batters together (do not over swirl or the cream cheese brownies will become leaden and beige).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or for fudgier brownies no more than 25 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
These were wonderful! I took half of them to a BBQ and brought the other half to work - all very well received. These were easy to make - although I wasn't sure if I was suposed to use 6.5 oz butter plus 5T or how much and when? That was confusing. I only used 5 Tablespoons total. Either way, they were very fudgy and the cream cheese swirl was great. And Saturn was right, this recipe does dirty a lot of dishes!
OH, what decadence!!! I too was somewhat confused by the butter addition and followed another reviewer and only added 6 tbsp total, devided among the chocolate and cream cheese mix. In return my cream cheese mix was a bit thin, so I added more of the flour mix. Next time I will stick to the 6 tbsp devided and then make a bit less cream cheese mix, since there was plenty. I baked for 32 min and it was still soft (could have something to do with the reduced butter), but I removed from the oven anyway because I was afraid of over-baking these yummies. Next time I will reduce the amount of sugar to 1 1/2 cups total as well since I find them on the sweet side. I omitted the nuts and with the reduced butter it cut 2000 cal out of the recipe.
Great tasting brownies, these, & as with others who've made & reviewed them, we thoroughly enjoyed the taste combo of the chocolate & cream cheese! I ALLOWED my other half to take some to share at work, but the rest of them, we'll somehow manage to devour right here at home! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]