Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The original version of this recipe appeared in the May 1979 issue of Bon Appetit.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- Melt chocolate and 3 Tbsp butter in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, and set aside to cool.
- Blend remaining butter with cream cheese until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating well.
- Blend in 1 egg, 1 Tbsp flour and 1/2 Tsp vanilla, and set aside.
- Beat remaining 2 eggs until thick and light in color.
- Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thickened.
- Add baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup flour.
- Stir in chocolate, 1 Tsp vanilla and nuts.
- Spread about half of the chocolate batter in a greased 8-9" square pan.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the top.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of remaining chocolate batter on top.
- Zigzag a spatula through the batter to marble.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed in the center.
- Cool, and cut into bars.