1/1 Photo of Cream Cheese Braids
Claire de Luna's Note:
This is a delectable danish style bread, very light and tender. The recipe seems more complicated than it really is, and makes four loaves, so there's plenty to share. Prep time does not include overnight or second rising time. One of Southern Living's best recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1For BREAD: Heat sour cream over low heat.
- 2Stir in sugar, salt and butter; cool to lukewarm.
- 3Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl until dissolved.
- 4Add sour cream mixture, eggs, flour, and mix well.
- 5Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- 6For FILLING: Mix well.
- 7Divide dough from the day before into 4 equal parts.
- 8Roll each part on a floured surface to an 8x12 inch rectangle.
- 9Spread one quarter of the filling on each rectangle, and roll jelly roll style beginning at the long side.
- 10Pinch edges together and fold ends under slightly.
- 11Place rolls seam side down on greased baking sheets.
- 12Slit each roll at 2-inch intervals to resemble braid.
- 13Cover and let rise 1 hour, in a warm place until dough doubles in bulk.
- 14Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- 15Spread with glaze while warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Cheese Braids
Serving Size: 1 (2153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1618.5
- Calories from Fat 605
- Total Fat 67.2 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 296.5 mg
- Sodium 1266.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 227.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 127.7 g
- Protein 27.6 g