Recipe by Housewife Hopeful
The original recipe was submitted to Southern Living magazine by Willie Monroe. This recipe will make 2 loaves. *NOTE* Stir together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. orange zest, and 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice to drizzle over warm Cream Cheese-Banana-Nut-Bread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesoftened cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (4 medium bananas)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Place 3/4 cup pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake 12-15 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 6 minutes.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine whole wheat flour and next four ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in bananas, 3/4 cup toasted pecans, and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 greased and flour 8- x 4-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides of bread pull away from pan, shielding with aluminum foil during last 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool bread in pans or wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks. Let cool 30 minutes.