For a request from Southern Living, January edition. Submitted by Willie Monroe, Homewood, Alabama. Prep time does not include making toppings. The nutrition facts includes all of the topping ingredients.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 lbs. or 4 medium)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange Pecan Topping
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer, until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8 x 4 inch loafpans.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour, or until tests clean. (Shield with foil the last 15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary.
- Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.
- Orange Pecan Topping:.
- Sprinkle pecans over batter before baking.
- Cool bread 10 minutes, remove from pans.
- Stir together sugar, orange juice and orange rind.
- Drizzle evenly over warm bread.
- Cinnamon-Crisp Topping.
- Stir together brown sugar, toasted pecans, flour, melted butter and cinnamon.
- Sprinle mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake and cool bread.