Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Southern Living magazine and is not your ordinary banana bread. The texture and flavor are so rich and creamy. Your family will love this treat. I always use reduced fat cream cheese.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Gradually add this to butter mixture beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans (or 4 mini loaf pans).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- You may need to shield the top with foil for last 15 minutes to prevent browning.
- Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and let cool additional 30 minutes.
WOW, so moist, rich & tasty banana bread! I used lower fat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter plus 1/2 cup applesauce & 1 cup Splenda for Baking instead of sugar. For the nuts I used Black Walnuts, Yummy. My DH Said, this is the best banana bread. Erin, thank you for posting the recipe I will be making this again & again.
This is the only recipe I'll use for banana bread. Since it debuted in SL, I've been addicted!!! You absolutely can use fat free cream cheese, 1/4 c butter and 1/2 c applesauce, splenda instead of sugar, etc etc etc. LOVE IT!!!!
I just took this out of the oven and had a taste, it is wonderful!