Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Southern Living magazine and is not your ordinary banana bread. The texture and flavor are so rich and creamy. Your family will love this treat. I always use reduced fat cream cheese.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Gradually add this to butter mixture beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans (or 4 mini loaf pans).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- You may need to shield the top with foil for last 15 minutes to prevent browning.
- Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and let cool additional 30 minutes.
WOW, so moist, rich & tasty banana bread! I used lower fat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter plus 1/2 cup applesauce & 1 cup Splenda for Baking instead of sugar. For the nuts I used Black Walnuts, Yummy. My DH Said, this is the best banana bread. Erin, thank you for posting the recipe I will be making this again & again.
This is the only recipe I'll use for banana bread. Since it debuted in SL, I've been addicted!!! You absolutely can use fat free cream cheese, 1/4 c butter and 1/2 c applesauce, splenda instead of sugar, etc etc etc. LOVE IT!!!!
This was The Best, my friends and family loved it so much I've made it three times in one month. Thank you