Recipe by Erin Crable
This recipe is from Southern Living magazine and is not your ordinary banana bread. The texture and flavor are so rich and creamy. Your family will love this treat. I always use reduced fat cream cheese.
Top Review by Barb G.
WOW, so moist, rich & tasty banana bread! I used lower fat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter plus 1/2 cup applesauce & 1 cup Splenda for Baking instead of sugar. For the nuts I used Black Walnuts, Yummy. My DH Said, this is the best banana bread. Erin, thank you for posting the recipe I will be making this again & again.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Gradually add this to butter mixture beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans (or 4 mini loaf pans).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- You may need to shield the top with foil for last 15 minutes to prevent browning.
- Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and let cool additional 30 minutes.