Recipe by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
Got this recipe out of a garage sale-find cookbook which was put out by the Crisco Co. It's very versatile in that you can add or subtract topping ingredients as you like. I thought peaches might be interesting to try.
Top Review by L DJ
The picture caught my eye as I looked for a dessert to make with what I had on hand. Being versatile grabbed me. I made this with some canned apricots (drained and chopped) I will try it with the apples next. Peaches sound good too, maybe pineapple. Oh yes everyone loved it. My neighbor asked for the recipe, said she was going to try it with italian plums from her tree this summer. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup diced granny smith apple
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and mix well. Add Crisco and cut in until it's crumbly. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture and press remainder into a sprayed 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes, cool slightly.
- In a mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, and vanilla. Mix til smooth and spread evenly over oat crust.
- Combine apple, raisins (if desired) and almond extract. Stir.
- Add spices and 2 T. of sugar and sprinkle over cheese mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 25 minutes or til golden. Cool completely and cut into bars.