Got this recipe out of a garage sale-find cookbook which was put out by the Crisco Co. It's very versatile in that you can add or subtract topping ingredients as you like. I thought peaches might be interesting to try.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup diced granny smith apple
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and mix well. Add Crisco and cut in until it's crumbly. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture and press remainder into a sprayed 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes, cool slightly.
- In a mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, and vanilla. Mix til smooth and spread evenly over oat crust.
- Combine apple, raisins (if desired) and almond extract. Stir.
- Add spices and 2 T. of sugar and sprinkle over cheese mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 25 minutes or til golden. Cool completely and cut into bars.