Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If using salted salmon it can be purchased at a delicatessen.
- 4 slices danish pumpernickel bread or 4 slices other rye bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon or 3 ounces salted salmon
- 16 cucumbers, slices cut thin
- Cut crusts from bread.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on each piece of bread, covering completely.
- Cut each buttered slice in half crossswise; trim to make 4 X 2 rectangles.
- Spread each with cream cheese, covering completely.
- Top each with salmon, laying salmon flat.
- Top each with 2 cucumber slices.
Oh, yum! Ran down to Trader Joes this morning and the smoked salmon was too good to pass up. This made a lovely lunch - wish I could get smoked salmon where I live. :~(. This was simple and very, very good - loved it! I did add capers, as Twissis suggested. Made for ZWT9 - team Gourmet Goddesses.
Made for the Goddesses of ZWT-9 & Family Picks, there is nothing more classic (or welcome) for an Icelander than a version of your recipe. They often take it a step further w/the use of scattered capers, red onion, Gravlax Sosa or some combo of them. Using a very popular dense rye bread, I showed the Smorrebrod 4 ways in 1 of the pics & used my Gravlaxsosa (The Real Deal) #225428. However, your recipe was made as written & served to dinner guests as part of a multi-recipe starter tasting-plate. They dined happily, so thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
Really simple, really good, and really elegant. These would be lovely for a special occasion. For ZWT9