My mother makes these Blintzes every Shavuot (a Jewish holiday celebrating the giving of the Ten Commandments). It is traditional to serve dairy foods on this holiday, Anyhow, these blintzes work wonders, and it was handed down from my grandmother to my mother, and now I get to print it in a neat and orderly way. Another thing, though, my mother never measures anything, and we didn't have time to measure the ingredients she put together, so everything is truly guess estimating by eyeballing. Except the cream cheese though, Don't worry about the consistency of the crepe batter, it worked for years. You can also use vegetable oil instead of canola oil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cold water (more if necessary)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil, for the frying pan
- 1for the crepes batter:.
- 2Mix flour, with egg and oil. Add cold water a little at a time, until a milky/watery consistency is made. You may need a little more water if the consistency is not achieved.
- 3Put a 1 1/2 tsp of oil in the frying pan, and heat on high. To test how hot the oil is put a teaspoon of the batter into the frying pan, if it sizzles it's ready, and you can start making the crepes.
- 4Make thin crepes on the frying pan by putting a little in the center and then spread the batter to the edges of the pan by moving the pan by the handle.
- 5Cook on one side of the crepe (you'll be cooking the other side when you are ready to make the blintzes with the filling).
- 6Repeat as until all the batter is used up. You'll need to add oil as necassary to the pan as well. each one side of the crepe should take one and a half minutes to prepare.
- 7When the one side is ready flip it over onto the plate with the ready made side is facing you (this is the side where you'll put the filling. This can be refrigerated for several hours.
- 8Blintze filling:.
- 9Mix all the ingredients together, except the oil. the milk helps to stretch the filling.
- 10Put 2 tablespoons of the filling on the cooked side of the crepes. Fold over so that part of the uncooked crepes is now facing you.
- 11Heat the oil in the frying pan the same way you did the first time around.
- 12When ready start cooking the uncooked sides of the crepes until ready. Do the same for all of the blintzes. Each Blintze should take about two minutes to prepare. Serve Blintzes hot.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Cheese and Raisin Blintzes
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 78.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 6.0 g