Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An adopted recipe, I have made this ahead when having company over for and easy breakfast. Original Intro: A great moist coffee cake.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries (or other dried fruit)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄8 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Cream butter, sugar and cream cheese very well until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down as needed add vanilla and mix inches.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with milk.
- Stir in cherries.
- Spread into cake pan, smooth top Mix topping ingredients (excluding almonds) together.
- Sprinkle almonds then topping over batter.
- Press lightly.
- Bake until tests done.
Nice and moist. It didn't rise as much as I thought it would. I used dried cranberries. Easy to make. Plan to make it again. Thanks. Oops! Just realized that I forgot to add the almond extract! Sigh.UPDATE: i have now made this cake 3 times since my first review. I'm addicted! I now use dried cranberries and 1 1/4 tsp almond extract and bake it for 30 minutes in a 9X13 pan. It is the best coffee cake I have ever tasted. Next time, I may use chocolate chips instead of the dried fruit and see how that works.
This was very good. The batter was out of this world, I almost wanted to just pull out a spoon and eat the unbaked batter, it tasted almost like a mousse or a frosting. DH wouldn't let me though, LOL. He absolutely loved the finished product (baked for 30 minutes). It was great, and the house smelled like heaven! Thank you, this is a keeper!
Wow! This cake is so good. I made it on Christmas Eve and it is now Dec. 26 and even better since it has sat for two days. The texture is dense and the flavor buttery. I made it exactly as written and will do so again. Thanks for posting!