Recipe by Leta
A smooth and delicious caramel. Great for a gift box of homemade goodies.
Top Review by Kibbie
These are absolutely heavenly, but my batch came out very soft and have to be refrigerated. Also, for me...the cooking time was about an hour, it took a long time to get up to 245 degrees on medium heat, so the consistency may be attributed to an error on my part. Other than that, they are probably the best caramels I have ever tasted. Thanks for the recipe, Leta! Also, thank you MizzNezz for the tip about the wax paper...I used parchment paper and they pulled out of the pan so easily!
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a square 8X8 pan.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter and half of the cream in a large heavy saucepan.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining cream.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to 245 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- (Be patient. This takes a while, but to achieve the correct consistency you don't want to reach this point to quickly.) Immediately spread mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Cut into 1 inch squares.
- I wrap caramels individually in wax paper strips and refrigerate.
- If candy sets up to hard in the refrigerator, just allow to set at room temp for about 30 minutes, and it is ready to eat.