1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A nice and creamy version which is our favorite! Cream Caramel is a rich delicious custard dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top. Sometimes called flan, or caramel custard. It is very popular in Egypt and we love it as a part of Suhoor (the meal before dawn and fajr prayer during the month of Ramadan). The perfect amount of time for chilling is 3 hours. The wait is hard but so worth it. Modified from The Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Perfect amount to fit in a regular size glass/porcelain pie plate or ramekin or the same size. ONLY USE GLASS OR PORCELAIN.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3Place the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Let the sugar dissolve. If need be, carefully brush the walls of the pot with a little water to prevent the sugar from crystallizing on the sides.
- 4Increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the syrup turns golden brown.
- 5Remove from the heat promptly and pour carefully into pie plate or ramekin.
- 6Cool for at least 2 minutes.
- 7In a medium saucepan, bring the half and half and heavy cream to just below a boil over medium-high heat.
- 8Mix together the egg yolks, sugar, and alcohol free vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- 9Place the mixing bowl on top of a towel to keep it from wobbling while whisking in the hot liquid.
- 10Gently whisk 2 tablespoons of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture.
- 11Slowly whisk in the remaining hot cream mixture 1/3 at a time, trying to prevent excess bubbles.
- 12Strain though a sieve!
- 13Pour into caramel-coated pie plate or ramekin.
- 14Place into a large baking pan or dish of a larger size.
- 15Carefully pour boiling water into the baking dish until 2/3 of the way up the sides of the pie plate or ramekin. (Be careful not to get any water in the custard mixture.)
- 16Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Very gently place it towards the center of the middle oven rack.
- 17Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the custards are almost fully set.
- 18Remove from the oven.
- 19Remove from the hot water bath without getting water into the custard. I know this is the tedious part. Maybe let it cool a bit before that; I haven't found the perfect way yet.
- 20Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- 21Refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
- 22To serve, dip the ramekin in very hot water for 15 to 20 seconds.
- 23Run a sharp knife around the sides.
- 24Invert onto a serving plate.
- 25The caramel will pool around the inverted custard.
- 26Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.0
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 170.0 mg
- Sodium 37.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g