Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a another "no bake" variation of the traditional Italian cream cake.
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond
- 1⁄2 cup chopped glace fruit
- 1 large sponge cake
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- candied fruit, and flowers for decoration (optional)
- Combine first 7 ingredients and blend very well.
- Cover cheese mixture and chill for 1 hour.
- Cut sponge cake into 3 layers; brush surface of bottom and middle layers evenly with rum.
- Spread chilled filling 1/2-inch thick between layers.
- Refrigerate cake for 1 hour.
- Prepare frosting; beat egg white until frothy.
- Add sugar gradually and blend in almond flavoring and lemon juice.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread frosting over top and sides of cake and decorate frosted cake with candied fruits and flowers.
- Store in refrigerator and refrigerate any leftovers.