Perfect Pixie's Note:
THIS IS MY ALLTIME FAVOURITE thing you can get in the bakery back home in new zealand, you can't get them here which is such a shame, borrowed a womans weekely recipe book of a friend and have to post it so i don't loose it. i cannot believe no-one has posted them yet
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups plain flour
- 60 g butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 30 g compressed yeast (see note)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water, extra
- 12 tablespoons raspberry jam (approx)
- 1NOTE: 2 tsp of dry active yeast can be substituted for the compressed yeast. sift dry yeast with flour and sugar, rub in butter, add combined lukewarm milk and water, then proceed as for recipe).
- 2cream yeast with 1 tsp of the sugar, add lukewarm milk, let stand 10 to 15 minutes until frothy.
- 3sift flour and remainging sugar into bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 4make well in centre of dry ingredients, add yeast mixture and lukewarm water, mix to a soft dough.
- 5turn out on to floured surface.
- 6knead 5 minutes.
- 7put dough into lightly oiled bowl.
- 8cover, stand in warm place 1 hour or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- 9punch dough down in bowl.
- 10turn out on to floured surface: knead 5 minutes. divide into twelve even portions.
- 11knead each portion of dough into a round.
- 12put rounds on well greased oven tray, allowing room for spreading.
- 13set in warm place 10 minutes or until half doubled in size.
- 14brush with combined beaten egg yolk and extra water.
- 15bake in hot oven 10 minutes,reduce heat to moderate, bake further 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 16put buns on wire rack.
- 17when cold, slit open, fill with raspberry jam and mock cream, dust each bun with a litle sifted icing sugar.
- 18Mock Cream:.
- 19combine water and sugar.sift over heat to dissolve sugar.bring to boil, remove from heat.
- 20when completely cold, beat butter and vanilla until white and fluffy, gradually pour in cold syrup, beating constantly.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Buns
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 50.1 mg
- Sodium 102.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g