Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a most lucious and delicious pie. A mennonite recipe that I got from the book "Food that Really Schmecks" I have been making this pie for years and I have to tell you, I have gotten up more than once in the middle of the night to eat that last piece before anyone else can get it!
Top Review by mandabears
This is a very very delicious pie, but is not a Schnitz pie. Schnitz are dried apple slices, not fresh apples slices. I made it for Thanksgiving dinner and the pie was highly received by DH's family who are all Pennsylvania Dutch.
- 1 pastry for single-crust pie, 9 inch pie
- 5 -6 apples, peeled,cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup cream (sweet, sour, or turning)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together sugar, flour and butter until crumbs.
- Sprinkle half in the bottom of the shell.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the crumbs.
- Mix half of the remaining crumbs with the cream and pour over the apple slices.
- Finally, mix the cinnamon with the rest of the crumbs and sprinkle these over the top.
- Bake at 425*F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350*F and bake about half an hour longer.