A twist on traditional spumoni created by "The Cooks Must Be Crazy" for Zaar World Tour 4.
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vanilla ice cream
For first layer
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 almond biscotti, crushed
For second layer
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
For third layer
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Use a knife to cut the ice cream into three equal pieces. Place the ice cream in three large mixing bowls to soften slightly.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Mix the dried apricots, apricot preserves, and biscotti with a third of the ice cream and press into the bottom of the loaf pan. Place in freezer while preparing the next layer.
- Mix the chocolate bar pieces, chocolate syrup, and amaretto with another third of the ice cream. Gently spread on top of the first layer in the loaf pan. Place in freezer while preparing the last layer.
- Mix the almonds and almond extract with the last of the ice cream. Gently spread the final layer on top of the loaf pan.
- Allow ice cream to harden in freezer for at least two hours.
- Remove from loaf pan and slice when ready to serve. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder.
This was definitely crazy . . . Crazy Good! I had to make a few changes: I used raspberry jam instead of apricot, gluten free chocolate chip cookies instead of almond biscotti, and Kahlua instead of amaretto. I had excellent results. I couldn't decide which layer was my favorite. With each bite I kept changing my mind. "No, this one is the best. No, that one is the best!" Thank you for posting. You've got a winner here. Reviewed for ZWT4.
What a fantastic combination of ingredients. I followed the recipe to a T and wouldn't change a thing. Rich, creamy, and delicious!
I loved having the apricots, chocolate, liqueur and almonds all right next to each other. I modified it so I could use up the gelatto experiments I had for when I helped my ZWT4 team (Tastebud Tickling Travellers) work on our recipe. For the apricot layer I used peach gelatto and Filipino sugar cookies (polvoron) and dried apricots and dried peaches, for the second layer I used dulce de leche ice cream (which is sweet with caramel) cocoa powder instead of syrup (which balanced the extra sweetness, and Frangelico instead of amaretto. I used too much Frangelico because I had trouble getting it to set, but it was sooooo tasty I didn't care. For the third layer I used a lightly flavored strawberry gelatto I made and omitted the almond extract since I didn't have any. All in all the main differences I think were just the peach and strawberry in the two layers, but it all still went together really well and was super tasty. It made my simple gelattos that I was getting tired of something special.