Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
1967 newspaper article stated "peel and chunk and seed zucchini, blend and use the thick milk in recipes". Ok, I'll try it. Would be great in summer. I did. I liked and thus a few recipes were born. This "milk" can be frozen.
- 9 inch baked pie crusts
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled, seeded, cut in chunks
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml raw sugar or 177.44 ml light brown sugar
- 59.16 ml cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 0.25 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dried lemon peel
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 236.59 ml Cool Whip or 236.59 ml Dream Whip
- Using a blender, mash & cut zucchini until thick milk.
- In medium saucepan heat "milk", water, and margarine.
- In a bowl mix sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, salt lemon peel and juice.
- Add a little of the hot mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring well.
- Add this back into the hot "milk" water and margarine. Stirring until it starts to boil and thicken. Use a whisk. It will thicken quickly.
- Pour into baked shell and chill 1 hour.
- Cut into slices and top with whipped topping, cool whip, whipped cream.
- Texture is creamy but a little grainy. It is different but the taste is refreshing.
- I sometimes substitute 1 cup sweetened condensed milk for the 1 cup water and add an additional tbsp margarine when I do. Some really like it and others just love lemon only.