Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
1967 newspaper article stated "peel and chunk and seed zucchini, blend and use the thick milk in recipes". Ok, I'll try it. Would be great in summer. I did. I liked and thus a few recipes were born. This "milk" can be frozen.
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled, seeded, cut in chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar or 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup Cool Whip or 1 cup Dream Whip
- Using a blender, mash & cut zucchini until thick milk.
- In medium saucepan heat "milk", water, and margarine.
- In a bowl mix sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, salt lemon peel and juice.
- Add a little of the hot mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring well.
- Add this back into the hot "milk" water and margarine. Stirring until it starts to boil and thicken. Use a whisk. It will thicken quickly.
- Pour into baked shell and chill 1 hour.
- Cut into slices and top with whipped topping, cool whip, whipped cream.
- Texture is creamy but a little grainy. It is different but the taste is refreshing.
- I sometimes substitute 1 cup sweetened condensed milk for the 1 cup water and add an additional tbsp margarine when I do. Some really like it and others just love lemon only.