Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
1967 newspaper article stated "peel and chunk and seed zucchini, blend and use the thick milk in recipes". Ok, I'll try it. Would be great in summer. I did. I liked and thus a few recipes were born. This "milk" can be frozen.
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled, seeded, cut in chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar or 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup Cool Whip or 1 cup Dream Whip
- Using a blender, mash & cut zucchini until thick milk.
- In medium saucepan heat "milk", water, and margarine.
- In a bowl mix sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, salt lemon peel and juice.
- Add a little of the hot mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring well.
- Add this back into the hot "milk" water and margarine. Stirring until it starts to boil and thicken. Use a whisk. It will thicken quickly.
- Pour into baked shell and chill 1 hour.
- Cut into slices and top with whipped topping, cool whip, whipped cream.
- Texture is creamy but a little grainy. It is different but the taste is refreshing.
- I sometimes substitute 1 cup sweetened condensed milk for the 1 cup water and add an additional tbsp margarine when I do. Some really like it and others just love lemon only.