Recipe by pamela t.
When my crazy friend Paul made salsa for the Superbowl--everyone was skeptical. This was great! Everyone at the party asked for the recipe and no drop of salsa was leftover. This is by far the best salsa recipe and it appeals to people who don't like a very HOT salsa. You can make it hotter with more chipotle added. The cooking time is chopping time only. Enjoy the savory smokiness...
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
Holy Chipotle, this salsa is kickin'!! I've never made anything with chipotle chiles before - don't know why, they're fab in salsa. I made half a recipe and used fresh tomatoes instead of canned and the end resulting taste was sweet and sassy. I also added some leftover red pepper and vidalia onion, also used splenda in place of sugar. Made for ZWT5.
- 3 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed (yes, 6 cloves)
- 8 canned chipotle chiles (not 8 cans, but 8 chilis)
- 2 tablespoons juice, from the chipotle chilies
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (if you don't like cilantro, use flat leaf parsley)