Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this for my MIL when I forgot to turn on the oven for the turkey roast...It was great!! This was a quick save, and the idea came from a dish she had prepared from a 60's vintage book. The original was more involved, but this tasted just as good.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place chicken breasts in a glass 9" by 13" baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the two cans of condensed soup with the can of chicken broth (I like to use the reduced fat/reduced salt type).
- Pour mixture into baking dish, around chicken.
- Sprinkle in the garlic powder, salt and pepper (or you can mix it into the broth mixture).
- Slice cheddar cheese 1/4 inch (or less) thick, and place slices over chicken breasts, covering as much as you can.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes or until chicken is done (no longer pink).
- Prior to serving, (if desired) place slices of bread around the chicken to soak up the cheese/chicken sauce. Serve with rice, as suggested by the review--it's great this way!
This was so easy to just throw together. I made it exactly as the recipe states, and served it over rice with a salad. Comfort food. Thanks.
I used boneless chicken breasts, slightly pounded and cut in half, and turned out to be very tasty, and the chicken was nice and tender. My 6-year-old loved stirring the ingredients and "Making" dinner! However, there was just SO much sauce left over, and it was SO delicious, I think next time I will add a few cups of Minute Rice before baking and have a one-dish meal.
I made this recipe for the freezer for my husbands lunches. I was sad to see how much sauce I had to throw out, even after I soaked some up with bread. I think if I make this again it will need a lot less sauce and maybe i'll try it in a smaller pan. The chicken was very soft and still tasty. I must emphasize how important the cheese is. I bought cheese at Wal M, and it was not very sharp. It actually tasted a lot like american or velveeta... the sharp like she calls for is very important. I didn't think salt, pepper and garlic were enough seasoning so I added basil and oregano. This is a great recipe, for my own personal tastes i'll make a few minor revisions. I will definitely make again.