Recipe by BigFatMomma
I made this for my MIL when I forgot to turn on the oven for the turkey roast...It was great!! This was a quick save, and the idea came from a dish she had prepared from a 60's vintage book. The original was more involved, but this tasted just as good.
- 4 -6 bone in skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (10 2/3 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 loaf French bread, sliced 1/2 thick
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place chicken breasts in a glass 9" by 13" baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the two cans of condensed soup with the can of chicken broth (I like to use the reduced fat/reduced salt type).
- Pour mixture into baking dish, around chicken.
- Sprinkle in the garlic powder, salt and pepper (or you can mix it into the broth mixture).
- Slice cheddar cheese 1/4 inch (or less) thick, and place slices over chicken breasts, covering as much as you can.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes or until chicken is done (no longer pink).
- Prior to serving, (if desired) place slices of bread around the chicken to soak up the cheese/chicken sauce. Serve with rice, as suggested by the review--it's great this way!