1/1 Photo of Crazy Mary's Chili
This chili is quick, easy, and not too hot. It is great for a middle-of-the-week family dinner served with sliced sourdough bread and salad. It originally was printed in Bon Appetit (December 1983) as a request for the chili served at Grandma's Saloon & Deli in Duluth, Minnesota.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes or 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, drained
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1Combine chili powder, salt and pepper in cup; set aside.
- 2Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add mushrooms, onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is transparent (about 10 minutes).
- 4Add ground beef and about 1/4 of chili powder mixture.
- 5Cook, breaking up meat with fork, until browned.
- 6Stir in remaining chili powder mixture, tomatoes, water, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- 7Cover partially and simmer 15 minutes.
- 8Add beans and simmer 10 more minutes.
- 9Ladle chili into broiler proof serving bowls.
- 10Sprinkle each serving with about 2 tbsp shredded Cheddar cheese.
- 11Broil until cheese melts.
- 12Top each with dollop of sour cream (optional).
- 13Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crazy Mary's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.7
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 788.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 24.5 g