1 hr 45 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3/4 lb turnip, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion top (not bulb)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1Butter a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or a 10-inch round or oval gratin dish and set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, toss together carrots, turnips, scallion greens, parsley and 3 tablspoons of cornstarch.
- 3Spread vegetable mixture in prepared pan, pressing and smoothing it into place.
- 4In a small saucepan, dissolve remaiing cornstarch in 1/4 cup of the milk.
- 5When completely dissolved, add cream and remaining milk.
- 6Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking constantly.
- 7Reduce to moderate heat.
- 8In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Add egg to milk mixture in slow, steady stream, beating until combined.
- 10Pour this hot custard over the vegetable mixture in gratin dish.
- 11Sprinkle top evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- 12(Gratin can be prepared 24 hours ahead to this point and refrigerated.) Dot gratin with butter and make in the middle of a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes, or until it is bubbling through a golden crust.
- 13Let gratin stand 10 minutes before serving to crisp crust and allow custard to set.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crazy John's Carrot and Turnip Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (1490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1489.2
- Calories from Fat 846
- Total Fat 94.0 g
- Saturated Fat 56.2 g
- Cholesterol 517.3 mg
- Sodium 1598.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 51.5 g