Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Crazy John's Carrot and Turnip Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3⁄4 lb turnip, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion top (not bulb)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Butter a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or a 10-inch round or oval gratin dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together carrots, turnips, scallion greens, parsley and 3 tablspoons of cornstarch.
- Spread vegetable mixture in prepared pan, pressing and smoothing it into place.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve remaiing cornstarch in 1/4 cup of the milk.
- When completely dissolved, add cream and remaining milk.
- Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce to moderate heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Add egg to milk mixture in slow, steady stream, beating until combined.
- Pour this hot custard over the vegetable mixture in gratin dish.
- Sprinkle top evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- (Gratin can be prepared 24 hours ahead to this point and refrigerated.) Dot gratin with butter and make in the middle of a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes, or until it is bubbling through a golden crust.
- Let gratin stand 10 minutes before serving to crisp crust and allow custard to set.