Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great recipe my mom would fix for us, my favorite soup recipe- and we ate a lot of soup. It's pureed so if you don't like that, this isn't for you!
- 2 cups fresh broccoli (stems & florets work well, chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes black pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- In med. size saucepan cook the broccoli, broth, onion and spices until broccoli stems are tender. (poke with a fork to check).
- Remove bay leaf. Puree this mixture in several small batches in your blender. Be careful! this stuff is hot. Only fill your blender half way so you don't hurt yourself and make a mess!
- Put pureed mix in a bowl, rinse out saucepan and melt the butter on. med. heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk together (you are making a rue, like when you make a white sauce). Then add the milk.
- Once this mixture has thickened a bit, add the puree. Mix well and then serve and enjoy!
Hi princess, I make broccoli soup a lot as it is one of DH's favourites I usually make mine with coriander for the herb so I was waiting to se if he would notice the change surprise, surprise, he did and put it equal with mine. I think he was just being diplomatic. I made it just the way the recipe said and with the addition of a blob of low fat creme fraiche for presentation. Thank you for a new slant on broccoli soup. Made for herb of the month.
This soup was wonderful. I used frozen broccoli and it still was excellent. After pureeing, I strained it back into the pot with the roux. Made the texture velvety. Thanks for this terrific recipe!
Really good! I'm going to share it with my facebook friends!