Recipe by gailanng
A sweet and salty combination recipe from Carnation. Easy enough for kids. Dip, dunk, drizzle and sprinkle as you please. Makes for a pretty small batch; doubles easily, but do not microwave more than 2 cups (12 ounces) of morsels at one time. Cooking time is chill time.
Top Review by Lalaloula
What a fun recipe!!!! I loved the ease of preparation and how pretty the end result was! This was a star at our house and everyone really enjoyed the sweet and salty combination. I think it would be a hit at every party: Kids would go crazy with the pretty colourful sprinkles and for adults you could easily make a more sophisticated version using coconut, ground almonds or sesame seeds for sprinkling.
I myself used colourful sprinkles, star-shaped sprinkles, sesame seeds, chocolate sprinkles, coconut, ground almonds, chopped hazelnut brittle and big sugar balls. They all turned out well, but sesame and coconut were our favs. Mmmmm! :)
Just one thought: I did not cool my sticks in the fridge as that would have probably turned the chocolate all foggy (whiteish). Other than that though the directions were spot on!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this awesome recipe with us, Gail Ann! Ill surely make it again!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #44 September 2010.
- 236.59 ml semisweet chocolate or 236.59 ml milk chocolate or 236.59 ml white chocolate chips
- 14.79 ml vegetable shortening
- 16 pretzel rods, pretzel twists, whole-wheat pretzel sticks or 16 rippled potato chips
Optional Decorative Toppers
- semi sweet miniature chocolate chip
- white chocolate miniature chocolate chip
- candy sprinkles, of choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Line baking sheets with wax paper.
- Microwave 1 cup morsels and vegetable shortening in small, dry, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
- Dip chips and/or pretzels into melted morsels, tilting bowl to easily dip. (I use a measuring cup.) Use side of bowl to remove excess. Place on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with Toppers. Refrigerate for 15 - 20 minutes or until set. Store in airtight container at room temperture. Potato chips are best when eaten within a few hours of preparation.
- Pretzels and chips may be dipped and drizzled in any variety of melted chocolate for different looks. For example, dip them in semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle them with melted white morsels. Or dip them in milk chocolate and drizzle them with melted semi-sweet chocolate. Don't forget the sprinkles--that's the best part!