Top Review by hannahamil
Kitten, my family all agreed that this pizza is delicious...unheard of! I made 2 separate pizzas...one with pepperoni only, and the other per your recipe. Thanks for another winner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages, casings removed (mild or spicy)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms, well drained (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (can use more)
- 2 cups pizza sauce (can use more, see my Kittencal's Pizza Sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook the sausage meat with onion, bell pepper and garlic until browned, stirring to break up the meat; drain fat and set aside.
- Grease a 14-inch round deep-dish pizza pan then dust lightly with flour.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour with baking powder, salt, Italian seasoning, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) add in milk and eggs, stir until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan tilting pan as necessary so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, then sprinkle the sausage mixture and sliced mushrooms over the batter and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until pizza is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with pizza sauce, then 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and then top with grated mozza cheese; return to oven and bake about 8 minutes or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the cheese is melted.