Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I recently found this recipe while searching in my files, it goes back to the 70's!! You will need a 14-inch round deep dish pizza pan without holes in it, or it can be made in a baking dish. Feel free to adjust ingredient amounts. See my Kittencal's Pizza Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages, casings removed (mild or spicy)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms, well drained (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (can use more)
- 2 cups pizza sauce (can use more, see my Kittencal's Pizza Sauce)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook the sausage meat with onion, bell pepper and garlic until browned, stirring to break up the meat; drain fat and set aside.
- Grease a 14-inch round deep-dish pizza pan then dust lightly with flour.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour with baking powder, salt, Italian seasoning, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) add in milk and eggs, stir until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan tilting pan as necessary so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, then sprinkle the sausage mixture and sliced mushrooms over the batter and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until pizza is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with pizza sauce, then 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and then top with grated mozza cheese; return to oven and bake about 8 minutes or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Kitten, my family all agreed that this pizza is delicious...unheard of! I made 2 separate pizzas...one with pepperoni only, and the other per your recipe. Thanks for another winner.
Kiten....this was excellent!! My family truly enjoyed this pizza and my DH kept asking where I got the recipe. I was a bit concerned because my dough did not pour onto the pan and there was no tilting to smooth out the dough. I got fresh Italian sausage from my butcher friend and they were nicely seasoned...no fat to drain. I used your Pizza Sauce, fresh mushrooms and sliced bocconcini cheese. This pizza is very filling...one large slice was sufficient for me...DH was a bit of a glutton and when for another 1/2 slice. The recipe can be made up in stages and set aside until the final assembling. Well done!
Very good. Once again, when I don't have time to experiment and I need a recipe that I know is going to be delicious, I pick one of yours, Kittencal. The pizza was delicious, especially considering that it's so easy to prepare. I used a 9 X 13 baking dish instead of a pizza pan. I didn't have Italian sausage, so I used pork sausage, and I skipped the green peppers because my family doesn't like them. it still turned out great. I think this would work with any toppings. I was especially pleased that it sliced up so easily, too. Another good one! Thanks.