Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
I think I got this recipe as a freebie when I bought sausage. It is similar to the bisquick crazy-crust pies. DD made this at her 'girls only' movie night. She used about 3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage, omitted the mushrooms (personal preference) and added some sliced pepperoni over the sauce. The girls loved it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms, if desired
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage; drain.
- Lightly grease a 14 or 12-inch pizza pan and dust with flour or cornmeal.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In small bowl, combine flour, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper, eggs and milk; blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; tilting pan so batter covers bottom.
- Layer topping of meat mixture, onion and mushrooms over batter.
- Bake on low rack in oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pizza is deep golden brown (Deep brown gives a crisp crust).
- Combine tomato sauce and oregano; drizzle on pizza and sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.