Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
I could NOT believe this recipe! Potatoes that are cooked and served in an ice chest like an Igloo cooler! What's more, they are YUMMY! like twice baked potatoes. This is the easiest and funniest way to cook a massive amount of potatoes. I usually cook them until they are almost done- not mushy just to the point where they could cook for a few minutes more- and let them finish in the cooler IF I have about an hour before having to open the cooler again. IF I need to serve them sooner I cook the potatoes until they are close to done or done but not mushry. They come out great and what a conversation piece for your next picnic, BBQ, get together, etc... You gotta try it to believe it! PS.. You CAN do these in a foil pan too for easy clean up. You can even put the pan in the cooler!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 ounce) package crab boil
- 20 lbs red potatoes
- 5 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lbs butter
- salt & pepper
- 1Start with boiling pot of hot water. Add salt pepper and crab boil bag for flavor to the boiling water.
- 2Add 20 lbs of chopped up red skin potatoes. Leave skins on if you desire. Boil until potatoes are almost done. I cook them til they are fork tender and just about done- as long as they are not mushy they will be fine. If you have taken them too far and they are cooked more than you like just let them cool until they are warm but not steaming before putting them in the cooler.You may want to warm the add ins before tossing them into the cooler to ensure they melt.
- 3Dump boiled potatoes into clean cooler/ice chest Igloo type cooler. (We use a brand new one or one that has been cleaned well with bleach and rinsed well).
- 4With clean plastic gloves and a long knife, slice through the entire 'mess' of food, cutting and slicing through to make the pieces as small as you like. This will also help to mix it well. Cut as much as you like and REMEMBER the potatoes are HOT- so be careful!
- 5Optional Ingredients: You can either serve them separately and allow your guests to add their own OR you can add them now using the knife method.
- 6Now, close the lid of the cooler and lock them up. Make sure NO ONE opens it! The steam will continue to cook the potatoes.
- 7They will stay warm for HOURS and be ready and perfect when you are ready to serve.
- 8PS. You CAN do these in a foil pan too for easy clean up. You can even put the pan in the cooler! Or line the cooler with foil!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crazy Cooler Cooked Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 80
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.5
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 31.8 mg
- Sodium 116.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: