Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I could NOT believe this recipe! Potatoes that are cooked and served in an ice chest like an Igloo cooler! What's more, they are YUMMY! like twice baked potatoes. This is the easiest and funniest way to cook a massive amount of potatoes. I usually cook them until they are almost done- not mushy just to the point where they could cook for a few minutes more- and let them finish in the cooler IF I have about an hour before having to open the cooler again. IF I need to serve them sooner I cook the potatoes until they are close to done or done but not mushry. They come out great and what a conversation piece for your next picnic, BBQ, get together, etc... You gotta try it to believe it! PS.. You CAN do these in a foil pan too for easy clean up. You can even put the pan in the cooler!
- 1 (3 ounce) package crab boil
- 20 lbs red potatoes
- 5 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lbs butter
- salt & pepper
- chives (optional)
- bacon bits (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- green onion, chopped. (optional)
- chives (optional)
- creole seasoning (optional)
- Start with boiling pot of hot water. Add salt pepper and crab boil bag for flavor to the boiling water.
- Add 20 lbs of chopped up red skin potatoes. Leave skins on if you desire. Boil until potatoes are almost done. I cook them til they are fork tender and just about done- as long as they are not mushy they will be fine. If you have taken them too far and they are cooked more than you like just let them cool until they are warm but not steaming before putting them in the cooler.You may want to warm the add ins before tossing them into the cooler to ensure they melt.
- Dump boiled potatoes into clean cooler/ice chest Igloo type cooler. (We use a brand new one or one that has been cleaned well with bleach and rinsed well).
- With clean plastic gloves and a long knife, slice through the entire 'mess' of food, cutting and slicing through to make the pieces as small as you like. This will also help to mix it well. Cut as much as you like and REMEMBER the potatoes are HOT- so be careful!
- Optional Ingredients: You can either serve them separately and allow your guests to add their own OR you can add them now using the knife method.
- Now, close the lid of the cooler and lock them up. Make sure NO ONE opens it! The steam will continue to cook the potatoes.
- They will stay warm for HOURS and be ready and perfect when you are ready to serve.
- PS. You CAN do these in a foil pan too for easy clean up. You can even put the pan in the cooler! Or line the cooler with foil!
This is a super fantastic recipe. Thanks very much for posting it. I catered a barn dance for 80 and this was perfect! We boiled them in spiced up crab boil until almost done, sort of al dente. Popped them into a styrofoam cooler and delivered with all the toppings. Great idea I will not forget! This is going into My 2009 Favorites Cookbook. **An update to this previously posted rating: My client called to tell me this was THE #1 hit on the buffet!
I don't know what I did wrong, but I have a house full of people and my cooler potatoes are still very much uncooked! I really wanted/needed this to work!
thanks for posting this was very good. there where still hot after hours, just the making them ahead was great time saver, served sour cream green onions and bacon on the side, this got raves from all who there. i did make smaller batch and having soft sided cooler put them in alumunum foil pan inside the cooler worked great. did all prep on taters in the pan