Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Presented By: Xander Carey, The Food Dude
- 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 lb chicken (cut into chunks)
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- 1 small chili pepper
- 1 small tomatoes (Diced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pasta, of choice
- cayenne pepper
- cajun seasoning
- This is a great dish for the changing seasons as it has a great amount of vitamins, antioxidants, the carbohydrates for energy, and to top it all its light.
- To Prepare: Cook Pasta according to the instructions.
- Due to the low level of oils in the turkey sausage, add two tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pan to warm.
- Cook sausage half way and then add chopped chicken to cook.
- When the chicken is done, add all vegetables to the same pan.
- When adding the Chili, put it in whole.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Dare I say the phrase use a pinch of each, but it quite literally is a small amount of each for seasoning this dish.
- After the first round of seasoning mix all ingredients well and let cook into the food for a minute or two, then sample.
- Adjust according to personal preference.
- Remember you can always add more, but you cant take it out.
- Drain the Pasta well, sprinkling and mixing with a small amount of oil while warm.
- Place pasta in a large bowl.
- Place the other ingredients in the bowl and mix together well.
- Mix in your diced tomato.
- Serve in warm bowls, garnish with chopped fresh parsley and if you would like top with some low-fat Parmesan cheese (or other cheese of your choice).
- More traditional dishes have this with a thickened substance like tomato paste/sauce or a cream reduction.
- This version is healthy and will leave you feeling light instead of weighed down.
- Get your kids into the kitchen with you and remember HAVE FUN!