Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Charley Addison, Crazy Cajun Enterprises, Cobb CA. A California-ized Cajun recipe.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (country style)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced smoked ham or 1 1⁄2 cups tasso
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning mixed spice (to taste and this contains salt, many recipes on food.com)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped garlic clove
- 2 chopped celery ribs
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups picante sauce (Crazy Charley Brand recommended 12 ounces) or 1 1⁄2 cups any quality salsa (Crazy Charley Brand recommended 12 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onions with top
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Brown crumbled breakfast sausage in heavy 4-6 quart pan or skillet; drain fat.
- Add peppers, onions, celery and Cajun powder. Simmer until just about tender, then add garlic and cook until tender.
- Add rice and stir until rice is mixed in and coated with sausage and vegetables.
- Add broth and Piquante, bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand five minutes covered.
- Add fresh chopped green onions and parsley; fluff with a fork just before serving.
- Serve with French bread and a garden salad.