Recipe by Montana Heart Song
1967 newspaper article stated: peel, seed and chunk zucchini. Use your blender to make a "milk". I did, I tried and I liked. "milk" can be frozen also. Thus a few recipes were born as this one.
Top Review by Geniale Genie
Yum! This is soooo easy and would fool any vegetable hater. I've made this a couple times using brown bread. First time I just lowered the sugar, second I replaced it with stevia - making it uber healthy. Tastes great even without the apple (but even better with)! Recipe is easily halved. I baked it in my 1.5 quart Crockpot on low for 6 hours (4h30 for half recipe). Very convenient for those allergic to lactose. Thank you, thank you for sharing!!!
- 1 large zucchini, peeled, seeded and chunked (2 cups zucchini milk)
- 2 cups bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon Pam cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup slivered toasted almond (optional)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend prepared zucchini until thick milk.
- Heat in saucepan until it comes to a boil. Add 2 tblsps butter.
- Grease 4 quart casserole with 1 tblsp. margarine.
- Preheat oven 350.
- In large metal bowl, place bread cubes.
- Pour hot zucchini milk mixture over and stir.
- In small mixing bowl, beat two eggs, add vanilla, sugar salt and cinnamon.
- Add to bread cubes, toss to blend all together.
- Add diced apple, spread around on top.
- Add almonds,spread around on top.
- Set casserole in a 9 X 13 pan. Add 1 cup water or a little more.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Serve warm or chilled with ice cream.