Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
What better gift than the gift of a tasty and relaxing meal? Treat yourself and the special someones to a nice dinner that is tasty and quick to prepare. It is elegant enough for a special event and quick enough for any day of the week. This dish is packed with vegetables and loaded with flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch saffron (hefty)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cups marinara sauce (Use a good quality jar sauce.)
- 1 (6 ounce) can minced clams, drained
- 1⁄8 cup kalamata olive, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces linguine, cooked and drained
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Over medium high heat, heat olive oil in heavy skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until brown. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper cook stirring occasionally until wilted.
- Stir in saffron, basil, oregano and red chili flakes, cook 1 minute. Add diced zucchini and cook until zucchini begins to wilt. Stir in sauce and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low, stir in clams and diced olives. Cook until heated through.
- Serve over hot linguine and sprinkle with cheese.
Nice heat from the flakes, sweetness form the meaty red bell pepper and onions, rich nicely spiced sauce that doesn`t need any salt. I used 3.5 ounces chick and hen mushrooms. Roasted garlic and roasted garlic oil. Went for a slight pinch of my habanero chili pepper flakes. Used home canned fresh tomatoes that I gave a quick swirl in the blender. This did make enough sauce for 1 pound of pasta. I used whole wheat linguine. I kept the clams out of the main sauce and just added for my husband and myself. As my son won`t do seafood. It is too bad no one reviewed this for the contest because it is a winner.
Paula, you did great with this! Thanks. Made for hidden gems.