1/3 Photos of Crazee Mixed up Squash Stew (Crock Pot)
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
Full of flavor and you can make it as spicy as you like! This is a vegetarian meal in itself, and adorned with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese, you will go crazee for more! Freezes well too. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (you may use fresh or frozen-please see below)
- 1 leek, cleaned, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots or 1/2 cup parsnip, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-2 chipotle pepper, minced, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, and a little extra
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies (mild)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained (or great white beans or kidney beans)
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh, canned or frozen-I used a whole can)
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- 1 (10 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican blend cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- salt and pepper
- 1If you are using a fresh butternut squash, to make peeling much easier, cook in boiling water 4 minutes. Now it will be easy to cut and peel. The seeds are good toasted too!
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add in leeks, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook and stir for about 5-7 minutes on medium high heat, until vegetables start to soften.
- 3Place leek mixture in crock pot. Stir in chipotle peppers, if using, basil, parsley, and cumin. Now mix in tomatoes, broth, beans, and corn.
- 4Place lid on crock pot.
- 5Cook on high for 2-4 hours, until squash is fork tender.
- 6To serve, ladle stew into bowls. Squeeze lime juice over each bowl.
- 7Top with tortilla chips(I crush with my hand), and a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle cheese and a little parsley over the top, and dig in! Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crazee Mixed up Squash Stew (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 39.8 mg
- Sodium 691.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 15.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: