Cook2 hrs 10 mins
Full of flavor and you can make it as spicy as you like! This is a vegetarian meal in itself, and adorned with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese, you will go crazee for more! Freezes well too. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (you may use fresh or frozen-please see below)
- 1 leek, cleaned, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrots or 1⁄2 cup parsnip, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-2 chipotle pepper, minced, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, and a little extra
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies (mild)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained (or great white beans or kidney beans)
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh, canned or frozen-I used a whole can)
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- 1 (10 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded Mexican blend cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- salt and pepper
- If you are using a fresh butternut squash, to make peeling much easier, cook in boiling water 4 minutes. Now it will be easy to cut and peel. The seeds are good toasted too!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add in leeks, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook and stir for about 5-7 minutes on medium high heat, until vegetables start to soften.
- Place leek mixture in crock pot. Stir in chipotle peppers, if using, basil, parsley, and cumin. Now mix in tomatoes, broth, beans, and corn.
- Place lid on crock pot.
- Cook on high for 2-4 hours, until squash is fork tender.
- To serve, ladle stew into bowls. Squeeze lime juice over each bowl.
- Top with tortilla chips(I crush with my hand), and a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle cheese and a little parsley over the top, and dig in! Enjoy!