Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
I wanted a one dish recipe that utilized my crock-pot, but was not a casserole or mixture of items. This recipe accomplished the feat making delicious turkey burgers and a side of cheesy farmhouse pasta! Best of all, it makes dinner for 3 and then lunch for the next day or even a side dish for dinner the next night! Perfect if you have some place to be for a few hours and will be returning home at dinner time. No scrambling on school or work nights! I created this recipe for the "Category Craze-E Contest" in the Contest and Events Forum.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
This recipe intrigued me so I decided to give it a try. I would give the burgers a 3 but the pasta deserves a 5 hence the 4 rating. My burgers were completely white which was a turn off for me. Next time I'll just make the pasta and fry my burgers.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 4 hamburger buns
- cheese, slices (optional)
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- hamburger dills, slices (optional)
- bacon, slices (optional)
- onion, slices (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
- ketchup (optional)
- mustard (optional)
- mayonnaise (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon over medium high heat until brown. Set aside and wipe pan with paper towel, leaving a coating of grease.
- Over medium high heat, saute onions for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- While the vegetables are cooking, make two to three even turkey burger patties. Sprinkle both sides with Montreal Seasoning (or your family's favorite seasoning) and set aside.
- Add bacon and contents of pan to slow cooker along with remaining ingredients (except turkey burgers.).
- Stir to combine and top with turkey burgers.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or before pasta darkens around rim.
- Carefully remove burgers. Only stir the pasta if you want to incorporate the turkey juices. .
- Build your family's favorite burger and place on plate with a heaping serving of the cheesy farmhouse pasta. You can sprinkle with ground pepper.